Most dental clinics have a team of dental professionals working together to ensure patients get the best possible treatment and advice about their oral health. The different areas of expertise provide the best possible solutions for your dental needs.
Oral Health Therapists ("OHT") are an integral part of a dental team. They are dental professionals that focus on disease prevention through clinical intervention and education. This is important to the management of your oral health.
Main role of an OHT is to:
- Give comprehensive oral examination and check-ups
- Provide professional scaling and cleaning treatments
- Perform preventative procedures such as fluoride applications and fissure sealants
- Restore teeth with fillings
- Take dental x-rays and OPG’s
- Provide whitening procedures
- Treat gum disease
- Provide unlimited treatments for children, including crowns and extraction of primary teeth
- Conduct dietary counselling and oral health education and promotion
- Work collaboratively with other oral health clinicians, dental assistants and administrative staff
Oral health is vital to your overall health. To ensure that you’re getting the proper care and treatment for your teeth, you need a complete dental team approach including the advice and treatment from an Oral Health Therapist.